Mustang is one of the most iconic cars in history. The inspiration for the Mustang was first derived from the Ford Falcon. As the Mustang grew in popularity, Ford decided to make it a separate brand by itself. Over the years, there have been many iterations of the Mustang and each one is equally iconic than the previous one if not more.
Mustangs come loaded with a large number of emblems on them and most of the older Mustang emblems were hand pasted by the workers on the assembly line. Hence, there was a general area where the Mustang emblems were pasted and also there were no alignment tabs available for the car.
As a result, the emblems were pasted where the workers felt like it should be. But nowadays, alignment tabs are easily available on the internet and you can easily take a printout of them. However, you would still need to purchase the Mustang emblem and for that, all you need to do is go to https://www.makperformance.com/.
Oftentimes the 5.0 emblem is taken off from the body when an owner sends their car for a paint job. And at the body shop, the mechanics just paste it wherever they feel is the right spot without any alignment tabs after the paint job is done.
But now you can easily order new Mustang emblems and replace them at the comfort of your home. All you need is a prying tool, masking tape, and glue.
Here is a step by step guide on how to properly replace your Mustang’s emblem:
- STEP 1: Take the masking tape and paste it all around the emblem you want to remove. Make sure to cover all the empty spaces between the emblems properly so that at the time of prying, you don’t accidentally destroy the newly done paint job.
- STEP 2: This is the tricky part – removing the emblem. Take your prying tool – a little blunt one should be fine because you don’t want to destroy the paint underneath by mistake. Gently pry on one edge of the emblem. If you want to rest the tool on the car’s body, make sure it’s somewhere on the taped area. Also, if the emblem is very old and you are removing it for the very first time, don’t apply brute force because the emblem might break and you will have to pry again from a new direction. Try to peel off the Mustang emblem in one piece without applying any brute force.
- STEP 3: Once the emblem is out, you can remove the tape and use soap water to clean the tape residue. There could be some residue from the emblem itself as well. So to remove that, you can use an eraser wheel. It will help you scrape off the residue from the old emblem on the fender without damaging the paint underneath.
- STEP 4: This step requires you to be a little patient. First, you need to download and print the alignment template from the internet. It will help you paste the Mustang emblem properly – aligned straight with equal distance from all sides. Paste the alignment template on the car’s body using the tape. Make sure that the template lays flat on the fender otherwise the alignment of the emblem could go a little off-axis.
- STEP 5: Now comes the exciting part – putting the new emblem on the car. The emblem you order from https://www.makperformance.com/Emblems-Badges_c_4726.html comes pre-loaded with glue which provides a great bond. Just peel the protective plastic from both sides and apply it inside the cutout of the template. Press the Mustang emblem for 2 – 3 minutes so that the glue sticks properly to the fender.
- STEP 6: Remove the alignment template and clean the area gently with soap water and flaunt your new and shiny Mustang emblem.
So, these are the 6 simple steps by which you can change your Mustang emblem at home. However, this replacement process is only for Mustang emblems that are pasted on with 3M kind of adhesive tapes. This kind of replacement generally works for all Mustang models starting from 1979 to 1993. Newer models have a different replacement process but if you want additional emblems on your car, you can go ahead with the above-mentioned process.